I want to be teachable and change my bad habits. I want to be the one teaching them correct principles of kindness and love. It always on my mind for Annelise and Colin to be nice to each other and share. I want them to be polite and grateful.
Today I was put in my place about doing good. I was sitting at the computer, finishing baby shower invites. I really wanted to deliver them today, but it was stressful because the kids were slowing me down. I promised them a walk, and they wanted to go. They didn't know it would be in 3 hours. My actions deserved this comment.
"Jesus doesn't like mean people"
I didn't respond, but I knew she was right. I was being mean, and that doesn't make Jesus happy. I wish I could say I was nicer once the invites were finished, but not today. I made my list of why I was "freaking out"(that's what coll doll says). I even told myself that all moms have bad days. The top 2 excuses on my list are worth sharing: 5:30am wake for training, and Colin potty training. They are worthy right? When I hear or think of the word excuse I remember in Mrs. Forsgren's class she once quoted someone saying "an excuse is only a lie you are telling yourself" I haven't lived by it, but I believe excuses are lame.
I will be honest I know the reason is more than lack of sleep and being stuck at home with a lot more unddies to wash. In my prayers a few weeks back I was told to read my scriptures everyday. I know people have on and off scripture study, and I get that. I did read for a while, and what I asked for was there. Obviously I stopped and today was a reminder. I feel worse that I stopped, because I feel like I just disobeyed. He could have given me a huge list of commandments to catch up on, but nope just one. I do know that God tells you what you need in your life.
Today I needed to have a real bad parenting day to remind me how it feels to have them disobey. A funny note I just ordered the Power of Positive Parenting yesterday. People have been loving it, so I felt like I needed it. I like parenting books I always learn something. I will enjoy it, but I'm going to add in my scriptures to my search for peace.
I hope to yell less tomorrow!
5 comments:
Oh Steph! Every mom does have bad days. I am so grateful you shared this because I need to be better at reading my scriptures too. Also, I had not thought of it, but when you said Heavenly Father was using your kids' disobedience to remind you what it feels like when kids disobey, that struck me so powerfully. I had never thought of that. Sophie has been a holy terror this week and I am now sure it was God trying to teach me about obedience and sassy attitudes (I mean, not that I have those...at all...or anything...). You are great and I am grateful you are my friend and that you can teach me, even from so far away.
Xoxo! Let's both have better days today. Call if you need to though.
Oh stef! Sometimes it just sucks being a mom. And sometimes it is so hard to do the one thing we need to be doing.
Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to do better.
Thanks for sharing this! You're doing a great job with those cute kids of yours. I think it's wonderful when we can be real with each other. Thanks for being so real. I'm so glad to know you!
You need to give yourself a break!!! At least you have taught your kiddos well enough that Annelise knows "Jesus doesn't like mean people"!! That is precious!
Being the mom is hard! And I think it sucks that the mom's mood regulates everyone else's!! We all have bad days, and no, that doesn't make it right but it happens!! You are amazing! And you are raising some adorable children! I miss you!
Thanks so much I needed this reminder also. Why is it that scripture reading has felt like such a chore for me and I make every excuse not to read. I agree with everything Wendy said and thanks again. I hope to get better this week. love ya
Post a Comment